What is Black Hat SEO and how can it hurt your business?
“Black Hat” search engine optimization is customarily defined as techniques that are used to get higher search rankings in an unethical manner. These black hat SEO techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:
- breaks search engine rules and regulations
- creates a poor user experience directly because of the SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
- unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.
A lot of what is known as black hat SEO actually used to be legitimate, but a few people went a bit overboard and now these techniques are frowned upon by the general SEO community at large. These practices will actually provide short-term gains in terms of rankings, but if you are discovered utilizing these spammy techniques on your Web site, you run the risk of being penalized by search engines. This sort of SEO basically is a short-sighted solution to a long-term problem, which is creating a Web site that provides both a great user experience and all that goes with that.
These techniques include:
- Keyword stuffing
- Invisible text
- Doorway pages or fake pages used to gain traffic
- Hacking competitors
- Posting fake reviews for your site or competitor
- Fake websites used to pose as competitors
- And anything that violates Google’s SEO Best Practices
As a member of Google, SEOmoz and SEMPO, we take our job, Internet Marketing, very seriously. So you can be sure that you will get nothing but the best SEO (white hat SEO) that will move your website up the ranks safely and effectively.